Chocolate Upside Down Cake
- 3 Tbsp butter (or margarine) or oil
- 1 cup flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 5 tsp dry cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup dry cocoa powder
- Melt 3 Tbsp butter in dutch oven and swirl around to cover sides.
- In zip-loc, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cocoa. (Could do this beforehand)
- In a bowl, combine flour mix with milk and vanilla. Pour in melted butter from dutch oven. (Just take what pours out, leaving the oven well-coated.)
- Add nuts and stir well.
- Pour batter into dutch oven.
- Mix sugar, brown sugar, and cocoa in a zip-loc. (Could prepare beforehand)
- Sprinkle sugar over top of batter.
- Pour 1 cup of water over batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes with more heat on top than under. Check for doneness by inserting toothpick or similar into center of cake - if it comes out clean, it is done.
- When done, remove from heat and remove lid for about 5-10 minutes to cool. Then, put lid on and turn cake over onto lid. If all goes well, it will fall onto lid, but you may loosen the cake with a knife before flipping.
Scouting Resources http://scouting.thaynefam.org/